Look at the calendar. Oh no, your climb is just a month away. You have to start training now. The best method to train yourself in any activity is to stimulate yourself into that activity. Therefore, in mountain climbing, the basic skill needed is hiking. So before you head out to that climb, you should grab a pack and begin a regime including hiking exercises that has low intensity cardiovascular exercise.
Give yourself two to six weeks in this kind of regime. At the end of that period, you would have known the basic mountain climbing skill.
1. The first two equipments you should purchase are a back pack and hiking shoes. For first timers, try not to buy expensive gears and it would be a waste of money if they will only use it that one time. A practical choice is better.2. Choose a small mountain or a hill near where you live.
3. Plan your exercise program. Make sure that the intensity and the length of the whole routine increases gradually.
Let’s say for example in the first week, you trek for thirty minutes thrice a week. In the second week, you go for forty five minutes carrying 15 to 30 lbs of weights with you for three to four times a week. In the third week, you go for an hour with 30 to 45 lbs of weight with you for three to four times a week. In the fourth week, ease on the weight and go for one or two sessions.
Next thing you know, you’re ready for your climb.
Just remember to adjust your program when called for. A particular routine isn’t appropriate to everybody. Weights are added and reduced, depending on the body type of the hiker.
Here are some important mountain climbing tips:
1. Your pack should have weights in the form of the water bottles. This is because they won’t tear up your back pack. You can also dump the water when you reach the peak so that you don’t put tension on your knees when you climb down.
2. Use poles for trekking. These lessen the strain in your knees when you ascend and descend.
3. Don’t rush yourself. Keep it slow and steady. Start and stop depending on your productivity. By listening to music, the rhythm is set.
4. Have realistic goals. If you push yourself too hard, you will only hurt yourself. Before your climb, stretch and stay hydrated. You should also rest two days before the expedition.